The Two Oceans Marathon is a 35-mile (56 km) ultramarathon and 21 km half-marathon held annually in Cape Town, South Africa typically on the Saturday of the Easter weekend.
The World’s Most Beautiful Marathon
During April there are 6 events that take place to make up the complete Two Oceans Marathon event
- The ultra marathon
- The highlight of the running calendar in South Africa
- 35 miles / 56km
- 1,000 entrants
- Cut off 7hrs
- The half marathon
- 13.1 miles / 21.1km
- 15,000 entrants
- Cut off at 3hrs 40mins
- Multiple trail runs
- Two trail runs at 12.6km and 25km
- Multiple fun runs
- The fun runs range from 56meters for those just learning to walk up to 5.6km
- The Cape Town international friendship run
- 5.6km (this race has been temporarily suspended)
- The Two Oceans marathon expo
- Venue CTICC2, 13-15 April 2022 (9am open till 5pm)
The Cape Town ultra marathon takes in stunning scenery along the False Bay coast line as it goes through Muizenberg, St James and Kalk Bay. It then goes over Chapmans Peak and through Hout Bay before returning back to the southern suburbs of the city.
The first race was held in 1970 and had 26 runners in the lineup with 15 finishing the 35 mile race. The entrance fee was 50cents and the winner was Dirkie Steyn in a time of 3:55:50 and ran barefoot.
How Do I Enter the Cape Town Marathon?
The entrance requirements are pretty strict for the ultra marathon, but the half marathon is an open event
- Full details and sign up can be done at the website: https://www.twooceansmarathon.org.za/